SAChE Products can be used and adopted to learning environments including students in many different fields (such as chemical and mechanical engineering as well as chemistry and materials science) and practicing engineers (such as in safety training programs). We attempt to put the materials in an easy to use format, and modifications can be made to the materials to fit the circumstances.
CCPS Process Safety Beacon Archive
Piper Alpha Lessons Learned
Piper Alpha was an oil production platform in the North Sea that caught fire in 1988 resulting in 167 fatalities and the loss of the platform. The root causes of the accident included many process deficiencies which were evident before the accident but were not corrected. Many of the problems on Piper Alpha were not unique to an oil production platform because the facility’s process equipment was typical of many chemical plants including tanks, pipes, compressors, pumps, reliefs, etc. All of the problems identified on Piper Alpha could have been eliminated by the appropriate application of OSHA’s Process Safety Management regulations.
This SAChE product includes a DVD on Piper Alpha entitled "Piper Alpha - Spiral to Disaster" which was distributed to 2007 SAChE members by mail by AIChE/CCPS. The Piper Alpha DVD includes a re-creation of the events in 1988 as well as dramatic and motivational material for understanding and practicing the important concepts of chemical process safety. This DVD is an excellent tool for motivating university students and practicing engineers to be keenly aware of safe practices particularly in process settings including process hazard analysis and permitting systems.
This SAChE product also includes a brief description of the Piper Alpha accident, and a list of the actual deficiencies that contributed to this accident (downloadable document).
Properties of Materials
This product includes explanations concerning:
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)
- Flammability, Explosive and Toxicity Properties
- Flammability Classifications
- NFPA Stability Ratings, and
- Detailed references for more advanced information
Rupture of a Nitroaniline Reactor
- Runaway reactions need to be understood and appropriately controlled to prevent major losses.
- A Safety review is an important process for identifying potential problems and developing approaches to solve the problems.
- Redundant controls are needed in critical applications.
- Relief systems consisting of a rupture disk followed by a spring operated relief valve must be properly installed and maintained.
- Training operators and engineers to recognize the consequences of operating errors is important.
- Management decisions to override safety systems must be thoroughly thought through before implementation of such action.
Student access: All files are available to students logged into the site.
Static Electricity I -- Everything You Wanted to Know about Static Electricity
Venting of Low Strength Enclosures
J. F. Louvar (Wayne State University)
- Understand the violence of explosions, and
- Understand the technology required to prevent explosions.
Although this product was originally designed for academic setting, it contains many concepts and/or pictures that will be very useful in training programs in an industrial environment.
A narrated movie “Venting of Low Strength Enclosures” discusses: a) damage due to non-vented explosions, b) design criteria for sizing vents, c) NFPA 68 vent equation for sizing vents, d) discussions regarding the design details of the vent panels and constraints, and e) details of experimental tests that were made to develop the design criteria for explosion vents. The movie contains many excellent pictures and video clips of explosions that illustrate the magnitude, speed, and consequences of explosions. All of the files necessary to show the narrated movie are in Venting.zip. After restoring the files and starting the Astound Player (astdplay.exe), select the file venting.asd, and click the play button to start the narrated movie.
The PowerPoint presentation with this product (venting.ppt) can be used as is or modified to fit an instructor’s requirements. The presentation has 17 slides. The slides include excellent pictures of the consequences of explosions taken from the narrated movie. The file venting.ppt includes presentation notes, and additional notes are included in venting.doc.