SAChE Products can be used and adopted to learning environments including students in many different fields (such as chemical and mechanical engineering as well as chemistry and materials science) and practicing engineers (such as in safety training programs). We attempt to put the materials in an easy to use format, and modifications can be made to the materials to fit the circumstances.
Hydroxylamine Explosion Case Study
J.V. Birtwistle (Risk Reliability and Safety Engineering LLC.)
- Understand the contributing causes of accidents,
- Design plants with the appropriate features to prevent accidents,
- Understand the important concepts relevant to managing a plant to prevent accidents, and
- Introduce the concept of a hazard and operability study.
- Mini-Case Histories
- Process Safety Beacon
- Safety Concepts
Mini-Case Histories: There are eight PowerPoint presentations, with notes, that cover the accidents at Bhopal, Monsanto, Phillips, Flixborough, Morton, Tosco, Hickson, and Sonat. The root causes of each accident are included, such as, poor designs, lack of training, and poor management. The information summarized in these case histories was taken from SACHE products, and reports by the Chemical Safety Board.
Process Safety Beacon: The Center for Chemical Process Safety is publishing monthly, one-page case histories or lessons learned. They are available on the Internet via CCPS Beacon. A few of the Beacons are included in this product to remind readers that these lessons are available.
Safety Concepts: This product includes six PowerPoint presentations: Relief Valves; Prevent Runaway Reactions; Manage Design, Construction, and Operations; BLEVEs; Explosions; and Prevent Explosions. The concepts covered are those that are especially relevant to chemical plant accidents.The Mini-Case Histories and Safety Concepts were developed in a PowerPoint format to give users the opportunity to add slides or lessons as desired.
Safety Valves: Practical Design Practices for Relief Valve Sizing
Safety, Health, and Environmental Text for Textbooks
M. Horsch (University of Michigan)
J. Louvar (Wayne State University)
- assist professors to add safety, health, and environmental (SHE) concepts to the core courses of all chemical engineering departments
- assist professionals to appreciate the importance of SHE concepts in university and company environments
- help companies to improve their safety and environmental performance
- Mass Transport
- Heat Transport
- Text with Examples to embed into the chapters of textbooks
- Problems and Solutions for the end of the chapters
- SHE related Figures that can be added anywhere within textbooks and/or for enhancing lectures
Student access: Problem statements are available to students logged into the site (in Problem_statements.pdf).