Welcome to SAChE
The Safety and Chemical Engineering Education (SAChE) program, initiated in 1992, is a cooperative effort between the Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) and engineering schools to provide teaching materials and programs that bring elements of process safety into the education of undergraduate and graduate students studying chemical and biochemical products and processes. These materials may also be suitable for training purposes in an industrial setting.
The SAChE Committee is comprised of representatives from academe and industry in addition to American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) staff (all listed in Committee). Bringing together the expertise of industrial representatives, consultants, and university faculty, the SAChE Committee develops, reviews, and distributes teaching materials (Products) with the ultimate aim of safer operations. These teaching materials can be used by students in many different fields (such as chemical and mechanical engineering as well as chemistry and materials science) as well as practicing engineers in safety training programs. We attempt to put the materials in an easy to use format, and modifications can be made to the materials to fit the circumstances. We have made recommendations on how chemical engineering programs can meet ABET curriculum requirements for safety education.
SAChE is supported through membership fees paid by universities and business concerns such as manufacturers and consulting firms; a membership application is available. Membership fees entitle members access to the year's products. As part of the Safety Scale-Up Partnership between CCPS and several corporate sponsors including Chevron, Air Products, AspenTech, Bayer Material Science, Corning, Dow, Dupont, Merck, Praxair, UOP, and DCP Midstream, SAChE membership has been provided for all US and Canadian chemical engineering departments with AIChE student chapters. A Certificate of Safety Achievement is presented by SAChE and AIChE to students who demonstrate proficiency in process safety training modules developed for SAChE.
This site was developed for web distribution of SAChE Products. SAChE also provides other services available to nonmembers through the site including:
- News section to post and search announcements on safety related topics as well as view archived SAChE newsletters.
- Workshop section to support the annual SAChE Faculty Workshop where faculty members can learn more about safety issues in an industrial setting. The next workshop will be held August 21-24, 2016 at the Chevron Energy Technology Company in Richmond, CA and organized by Dr. Ron Willey (Northeastern University). To register for the workshop, please complete the registration form and return to Dr. Willey. For further information, contact Dr. Willey at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Links section to post and search web links on safety related topics.
- Process Safety Beacon section to search and display archives of the Process Safety Beacon. SAChE membership allows users to print Beacons from the archives, and separate Beacon subscriptions are available to provide the same access.
Membership includes the following benefits:
- Support an organization of professionals dedicated to providing web-based materials to provide safety training to the chemical process industries as well as related industries such as pharmaceutical and electronics industries.
- Gain access to materials useful for safety training programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels as well as ongoing professional training in work environments. Safety teaching materials produced by SAChE are developed for professionals of many backgrounds including: chemical, mechanical, instrument and safety engineering students as well as chemists and biologists.
- SAChE materials can be modified as appropriate for maximum benefit to practitioners.
- SAChE materials can be accessed easily by use of our web site. Web distribution helps keep costs low, and fair use is granted throughout an organization so departments within a university can share the same benefits of membership. Access is granted to corporations at all corporate locations.
- Costs for SAChE products are low especially in comparison with the benefit of improved safety education and training possible with the products.
- SAChE member organizations have priority representation at SAChE Faculty Workshops subject to final approval by workshop organizers (including corporate sponsors).